Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Redeeming Jingle Bells

Christmas is about Jesus, and Christians should always remember to make Christ the center of all of our Christmas celebrations. So what do we do with those songs that don't necessarily make any reference to Christ? Should we exclusively sing only songs about Jesus in a manger? I think that should be the predominant practice within the worship of the church; Christmas songs we sing for worship should all be about Christ. However, let me ask a followup question. Is there any place for Christians to sing the other songs of the Christmas season? Can't we just have fun and enjoy the festivities? I think there's a place for that. Christians shouldn't be scrooges with our faces all sour, ready to pounce on others in a legalistic fashion when they don't meet our expectations. Rather, we should be gracious to one another. 
 
So, what about Jingle Bells? The truth is, this song wasn't even written as a Christmas song at all. It was originally written for Thanksgiving. It's really more about the winter season. How should we think of children singing Jingle Bells in a church Christmas program? To tell the truth, I have mixed feelings. At first glance, nothing about the song lends itself to the Christmas story, so I lean toward excluding it in favor of other more explicitly Christian Christmas songs. However, as I have pondered this question throughout the week I see that there is a connection between Christmas and bells. Not necessarily a biblical one, but at least a Christian one. This connection is more readily seen in the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." 
 
I heard the bells on Christmas Day Their old, familiar carols play, and wild and sweet The words repeat Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And thought how, as the day had come, The belfries of all Christendom Had rolled along The unbroken song Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Till ringing, singing on its way, The world revolved from night to day, A voice, a chime, A chant sublime Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head; "There is no peace on earth," I said; "For hate is strong, And mocks the song Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep; The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail, With peace on earth, good-will to men."
 The bells that this song mentions are the church bells throughout the land. These bells were a reminder of the gospel herald ringing forth the message of the Gospel. Though the world is filled with wrong and hate, the expansion of territory marked with churches with their bells reminds us that as the Gospel rings forth, all the wrongs will one day be made right. The one who was born in Bethlehem and laid in a manger will one day come back riding a white horse and with a sword coming out of his mouth and he will then bring eternal lasting peace on earth.

So, while it isn't the express purpose or intent of the song Jingle Bells, out of forbearance and patience I will hold my tongue when the children sing Jingle Bells. And as I listen, I'll remind myself that these jingling bells just may be on the feet that carry good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment